Make an informed decision on your heat pump requirements using our easy-to-follow heat pump learning resources. The most important thing when
Heat Pumps Scotland’s Mission
Welcome to Heat Pumps Scotland
Our mission is to spread the word about heat pumps so that more people choose them as a way to heat their homes and offices.
Heat pumps can be used to run a range of HVAC solutions from underfloor heating, to domestic or commercial hot water and are very affordable, particularly with the grants and funding available under the Renewable Heat Incentive (RHI).
Types of Heat Pump
Heat pumps can be categorised according to how they source their heat. The main types are as follows.
- Air source heat pumps.
- Ground source heat pumps.
- Water source heat pumps.
Air source heat pumps
Air source heat pumps collect their heat from the air outside the property, normally making use of a fan that blows air across the heat exchange coils on the outdoor unit.
Ground source heat pumps
Ground source heat pumps collect their heat from a ground loop (sometimes referred to as a slinky), which is coiled pipe buried in a series of trenches in the ground. Alternatively, the heat can be sourced from a vertical borehole, which can be a better approach on sites that have limited space.
Water source heat pumps
Water source heat pumps gather their heat from a pond, loch, river or other water body. The advantage of water source is that heat transfer is generally very good from water, however, the requirement for a nearby body of water makes them suitable only for sites with this on offer.
Benefits of heat pumps
The benefits of heat pump systems include cheaper heating costs and less harm to the environment. We want everyone to reap these benefits, not just a well-informed minority.
We aim to provide a useful resource to potential users of heat pumps so that they can make an educated choice about the options available to them. We don’t want to leave it there though. We want to put people in touch with highly skilled, reputable and professional installers so that they get the very best systems that are right for them and their budget.
If you can think of information or resources that should be included on this website, please let us know via the contact page and we’ll do our best to meet that need.
If you are ready, try exploring our site from the menu at the top.
And be sure to let us know how you get on with your heat pump projects. We would like to assemble a body of case studies that showcase what is possible with heat pumps so that others can be inspired and build their own systems with confidence that others have already proven it can be done.
Heat Pump Installers – Finding the Right Contractor
From a simple repair to installation of a complete ground source heat pump or air source heat pump system, all good, professional heat pump installation companies recognise the need to offer specialist expertise in delivering reliable, energy efficient and cost effective heating or cooling solutions. Some companies even provide a turnkey package for all types of renewable energy and alternative heating systems. You can browse our directory of installers to find the one that’s right for you.
Many are not only capable of designing, specifying and installing advanced heating and cooling systems such as under floor heating, radiators, fan coils and chilled beams but also provide their clients and end users with a nationwide support network.
If you have a project and require impartial advice on the suitability of renewable technologies including Solar Thermal, Air or Ground Source Heat Pumps or Solar PV please do your own due diligence and speak to an expert company who will be able to advise you.
With the growing demand and emphasis on green sustainable technologies, installing Heat Pumps, Biomass Boilers, Solar PV and Solar Thermal systems has never been more attractive and financially viable thanks to the Renewable Heat Incentive and the availability of tailored finance packages.
See how much the RHI could pay you for installing renewable energy in your home, by speaking to an expert adviser.
Environmental & Financial Benefits
The effective use of sustainable and renewable energy sources deliver reductions in the use of fossil fuels through the use of proven technology.
You can reduce your CO2 emissions using heat pumps. For example, on average a heat pump could save around 1.8 tonnes of carbon dioxide every year when replacing an oil boiler.
- Domestic heating accounts for over 35% of CO2 emissions in the UK.
- Over 60% of the average home’s CO2 emissions are created by the heating and hot water system.
- Ground & Air source heat pumps are simple to install and are a direct replacement for existing oil and gas fired boilers.
- Air & Ground source heat pumps are a proven technology which have been used all over the world as a primary domestic & commercial heat source for over 50 years.
- Water source heat pumps can also be used to good effect if a suitable body of water is available as a heat source.
- Due to the high COP achieved by ground & air heat pumps, annual fuel bills can be reduced by as much as 50% when compared against Oil and LPG boilers.
- With RHI funding you can have your ground or air source heat pump system paid for within 7 years.
- With Green Deal assistance a loan is available to pay for the upfront installation cost and when combined with the RHI you could have your system paid for in under 5 years!
- RHI funding is now available for Commercial air source and ground source heat pump systems.
- Take a look at our extensive frequently asked questions (FAQ) page to learn more or get in touch through our contact page.